F65/UNS S32906 Stainless Steel
UNS S32906/F65 is a high-alloy duplex (austenitic-ferritic) stainless steel with excellent corrosion resistance in caustic environments and environments with chlorides. In addition, it has somewhat characteristics below:
- Outstanding resistance to caustic environments, also in the presence of contaminants such as chlorides
- Good resistance to intergranular corrosion
- Excellent resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion
- High resistance to stress corrosion cracking (SCC)
- Good weldability
- Very high strength. The proof strength is about three times as high as for conventional austenitic stainless steel.
- At 20°C (68°F):
|Proof strength||Tensile strength||Elongation|
1 MPa = 1 N/mm2
a) Rp0.2 corresponds to 0.2% offset yield strength.
b) Based on L0 = 5.65 √S0 where L0 is the original gauge length and S0 is the original cross-section area.
2. At high temperatures:
|Temperature||Wall thickness||Proof strength||Tensile strength,||Elongation|
General Corrosion and Microstructure
UNS S32906 demonstrates excellent corrosion resistance properties owing to the high content of alloying elements, low impurity content and control of heat treatment during the production process to ensure the absence of detrimental precipitates and intermetallic phases.
At the same time, its duplex (austenitic-ferritic) structure with a ferrite content in the range of 40-60% determines its microstructure is free of detrimental intermetallic phases.
F65/UNS S32906 shows excellent resistance to intergranular corrosion and exceeds compliance with typical norms of either the Huey test (ASTM A262 practice C, 5 x 48h in boiling HNO3) or Streicher testing (ASTM A262 practice B, 120h in boiling H2SO4 + FeSO4).
Available products forms:
Pipe, Tube: ASTM A268, ASTM A789, ASTM A790, ASTM A511, ASME SA268
Plate, Sheet, Coil: ASTM A240
Bar: ASTM A479
- Caustic soda production: the material is suitable for use in piping systems from the cells up to the evaporation plant.
- It is also an excellent choice for very aggressive conditions, such as the evaporator tubes, in both diaphragm and membrane processes.
- Alumina production: heat exchanger tubes and piping in the digestion of alumina
- Environments where high resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion is required